Mushrooms look like boring little spongy things which are not often included in baby or kids diets. But did you know, mushrooms have many health benefits for kids and adults? It is a superfood for everyone at home! Time to dish up some goodness!
Mushrooms are not vegetables, they are also not fruits. In fact, mushrooms are fungus which grow on wood or grassy areas. Be careful NOT to harvest mushrooms on your own as they can be poisonous! However, delicious mushrooms like shiitake, portobello, enoki, white button mushrooms and oyster mushrooms are readily available in most supermarkets, ready to dish up! They are packed full of healthy goodness and are really reasonably priced superfoods.
Why are mushrooms good for your kids?
- Promotes excretory system health – Keeps your kids bowel movements good and healthy!
- High in calcium – Great for strong bones!
- Rich in anti-oxidants –Helps to fight free radicals, promote healthy skin & prevent diseases.
- Boost immunity – Prevents common illnesses such as colds.
- Rich in iron – Iron is essential to the body as it encourages new blood cell formation and oxygen flow through the body. An iron-rich diet will maintain good health!
- Enhance metabolism – Mushrooms are rich in essential nutrients, so they keep your child healthy and energetic all day!
- Vitamin D boost – Unknown to us, many children suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. Prevent Vitamin D deficiency in your child by giving him mushrooms which are an excellent source of Vitamin D.
Mushrooms are packed full of goodness but its difficult to get your kids to eat them as mushrooms may have a pungent smell and weird texture to them.
Here’s an easy mushroom and pasta one-dish meal. Only needs 3 main ingredients and simple steps!
Great for kids & the whole family and packed full of superfoods that are healthy for everyone!
200g shiitake / white button or any mushrooms – cleaned & diced
1 clove garlic – minced
100g bacon or ham or minced meat (optional)
150g pasta – choose your favourite kind! (we like macaroni or penne, its easier to eat then spaghetti but its up to you!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter (optional but it tastes much creamier and yummier for kids!)
salt – to taste
freshly ground black pepper – to taste (if kids do not like the spicy taste of pepper, you can omit it during cooking and let adults add to their pasta as they wish later.)
Easy 1-2-3-4 Steps:
- Cook pasta as per packaging and strain off the water, save a cup of the pasta water to loosen up the dish later, if required.
- Heat olive oil (with butter) on medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and stir-fry until fragrant and beginning to brown (not too brown or it will burn). [optional – add the bacon / ham / minced meat now and stir-fry until 80% cooked, if you want meat, or you can just omit meat to make a vegetarian dish]
- Add in the mushrooms and continue to stir-fry until the mushrooms are 80% cooked. Mushrooms will cook down and absorb the delicious garlic butter. Add salt and season to taste.
- Add in the cooked pasta and continue to stir-fry, loosening up the pasta and making sure the mushroom and pasta are well combined. If the dish is getting too sticky, add some pasta water (a small spoon at a time) to loosen up the dish.
Discount code: GDSEAST10
Don’t Miss Out!
1小粒蒜头 － 剁碎 （不是一整个蒜头哦～）