Barley is a whole food that has great health benefits but it seldom used in cooking. Some people think it is troublesome as it takes a long time to cook, others don’t like the taste of barley. And barley is often served in some boring ways like barley drink or tea.
Let us first look at just 5 great health benefits of barley:
- Barley controls blood sugar better – so you feel less hungry and stay full for a longer time.
- Barley lowers glucose levels (compared to white rice) – great substitute for those who need to control their glucose levels such as diabetic patients.
- Barley reduces blood pressure and helps to control weight.
- Barley helps reduce serum cholesterol and visceral fat, both are accepted markers of cardiovascular risk – consuming barley helps to prevent heart disease.
- Barley gives you greater satiety and fewer calories are consumed when eating barley – this may help to control weight and help in weight loss in the long term.
Great! So we know Barley is wonderful for you but it’s not really tasty! Do we have to be faced with horrible cardboard tasting food that is good for us? No, we don’t!
Great! We can make Barley tasty but it’s going to take a long time, need a lot of ingredients and washing up is a pain! No, it can be really easy!
Let us show you how with this simple 4 step recipe. All you need are some easy to find ingredients (which you may already have in your fridge), and a handy lunch thermos jar!
Let’s get started!
Easy Tomato Barley Risotto
2 tablespoons rolled barley
1 stalk asparagus – sliced
1 piece ham / bacon (optional *leave out for vegetarian dish*) – sliced
[Section A–Items Below Add Together–]
110ml unsalted tomato juice
3/4 teaspoon chicken powder (optional *leave out for vegetarian dish*)
1/2 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
pinch of Italian herbs (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
[Section A — Items Above Add Together–]
garnish – Italian parsley (optional)
- Put all items in Section A into a small saucepan/pot and bring to a boil.
- Add rolled barley and continue to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add asparagus & bacon, stir in and remove from the heat.
- Pour into Lunch Thermos Jar and close the lid well. Keep closed for 3 hours.
Delicious Tomato Barley Risotto is served! (top with garnish if you like)
No Hassle No Mess!
Perfect for taking baby out, prepare it in the morning, pop it into your bag and lunch is served in 3 hours! (for baby, you can dice the asparagus and ham/bacon for easier digestion.)
It is also a lovely lunch for eating in the office, or on-the-go. Throw all the ingredients into the pot while you have breakfast, pour it into your lunch thermos jar and a delicious risotto is served during lunch hour. Home cooking with zero hassle!
Not only is this risotto filled with healthy barley, it is also packed with other delicious health benefits!
Tomato Juice has rich vitamin, mineral and phytonutrient content. It is also filled with lycopene which promotes good general health. Lycopene has also been linked to the prevention of a range of diseases, including cancer. Tomato Juice is a great way to consume all this delicious healthy benefits without having to trouble cutting up tomatoes!
Asparagus is also a wonderfully delicious and healthy vegetable! It is packed with nutrients. Asparagus is an excellent source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, which is a trace mineral that enhances insulin’s ability to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
Try this super simple & delicious healthy meal! Perfect for Baby & You, healthy for the whole family!
Thank you for reading our Blog!
Lunch Thermos Jar is really convenient and easy to use. Wide mouth area is easy to clean and hassle-free. It also comes with a spoon (tucked away nicely in a special compartment on the lid). Everything ready in one compact container. Large 300ml capacity. Enough for delicious baby porridge, soups or yummy risotto lunch!
Enjoy tasty healthy meals on the go! Have a delightful lunch time!
Zojirushi water bottle, thick ebony chopsticks, lacquer chopsticks, greenbell nail clippers, petamo and more! >> Click for More <<
1根芦笋 － 切片
1块火腿／培根 － 切片 （＊素食者就不要放哦）